Junior Sailing Season 2023
Registrations are open as of February 13th
Welcome to the Junior Sailing Program of the Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club
The Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club offers your child a unique junior sailing experience this summer.
Youth sailors learn about sportsmanship, perseverance, fitness, respect, responsibility, and confidence. They develop tight friendships which often last a lifetime.
What makes us proud of our program?
- 50-year tradition
- Open to the public
- Ages 5-17
- 5 programs per summer are offered in 1, 2, or 4-week sessions
- Over 100 sailors per summer
- Race team sails 6 months of the year
- Instructors & coaches: bilingual, dynamic, experienced
- Limited class sizes to maximize quality teaching and safety
- WetFeet program for 5-7 yr olds
The Club provides sailors with well-maintained and safe boats:
- Optimist Dinghies: 1 per boat
- Club 420s: 2 per boat
- Race team members provide their own boats and equipment.
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m
- Monday to Friday, including weekday statutory holidays
- Early drop off and late pick up: 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
For the junior sailors who would like to use the pool snack bar facilities, junior memberships are available for the time the student is registered.
Our programs are designed so your child can follow a natural progression in developing confidence, skills, and experience in sailing and looking after a boat. Sailing is a complex sport that is mastered in stages. We recommend that young sailors progress through:
- Wet Feet program for 5-7 years old for an introduction to sailing;
- Learn-to-Sail or Double-Handed for those who are learning sailing for the first time;
- Advanced Single-Handed for under-12s who have passed Learn-to-Sail;
- Advanced Double-Handed for graduates of Advanced-Single Handed or Double-Handed;
Junior Program Achievements
OLYMPIANS: Ian Bruce, Peter Bjorn, Evert Bastet, Kai Bjorn, Tyler Bjorn, Chantal Leger
AMERICA'S CUP: Kai Bjorn
NATIONAL TEAM MEMBERS: Ian Bruce, Peter Bjorn, Evert Bastet, Peter Hall, Kai Bjorn, Tyler Bjorn, Lindsay Staniforth, Ali Mathews, Jen Blanchard, Mimi Winlo, Stephanie Taylor, Sylvie Di Lullo, Megan Armitage
PROGRAM OF THE YEAR: 1988, 1990, 1993, 1997, 2013