Friday Fun Race
Friday Fun Races are the ideal way to forget the concerns of your busy workweek. Relax and enjoy the simple pleasure of a fun sailing race with family or friends. Our fun races are really social events under the guise of racing. To learn more, members are invited to attend our season kick-off seminar noted in the calendar of Sailing Events or contact our representative on the Sailing Committee. Here are a few details of the series:
We meet every Friday evening on the front lawn between 5:30 and 5:45 before heading out to start at approximately 6:30 pm. If there are a lot of boats we’ll have two starts and if the weather is bad or threatening, we don't go out.
To keep everything fun, there are a couple of ground rules:
- This is a white sail series (no spinnakers allowed).
- The starting line is long and the course is a simple triangle.
- An unofficial handicap system is designed to maximize the fun.
- An original scoring system, designed to gauge the level of fun and encourage participation, works as follows:
- 15 points are awarded each time a boat enters a race (you have to be in a race to be having fun).
- Since winning is also fun, the winner is awarded additional points equal to the number of boats in the race.
- The boat placing second earns one point less than the winner, third place two points less, etc. so even The last place boat earns 1 point (plus 15 for entering) to total 16 points.
- At the end of the season, the boat with the highest number of points wins. Participants are able to drop their three lowest scores in determining the season's total score. So you won't have to show up all the time just to keep in the running.
After-racing mingling is as important as the racing. The group usually meets up on the patio for the Friday Night BBQ or there is an informal raft-up party anchoring near the finish line.
Hardcore racing boats are welcome provided that they are helmed by a crew member and not the regular skipper!
No racing experience is needed to join in the fun. New members are especially welcome. Even power boaters!
So get ready for some good times and join the fun race gang.